Tuesday AA literature post - Parallel Passages in the Big Book and 12&12:

Parallel Passages in the BB and T&T:

For the next few years fortune threw money and applause
my way. I had arrived. My judgment and
ideas were followed by many to the tune of paper millions.
The great boom of the late twenties was seething and swelling. 
Drink was taking an important and
exhilarating part in my life. There was loud talk in
the jazz places uptown. Everyone spent in thousands
and chattered in millions. Scoffers could scoff and be
damned. I made a host of fair-weather friends.
   My drinking assumed more serious proportions, continuing
all day and almost every night. The remonstrances of my friends
terminated in a row and I became a lone wolf. There were many
unhappy scenes in our sumptuous apartment. There had been no
real infidelity, for loyalty to my wife, helped at times by
extreme drunkenness, kept me out of those scrapes.
        BB Page 3, Bill's Story

“As material success founded upon no more than these
ordinary attributes began to come to us, we felt we were
winning at the game of life. This was exhilarating, and it
made us happy. Why should we be bothered with theological
abstractions and religious duties, or with the state of our
souls here or hereafter? The here and now was good
enough for us. The will to win would carry us through. But
then alcohol began to have its way with us.
        T&T 28-29 Step Two

Comments

Popular posts from this blog